How the Process Works
- Student selects an area of study
- PrisonEd arranges for a book to be delivered to the inmate (or PrisonEd generated materials)
- Tutor guides the student through the course (sometimes the tutor may need to be involved in developing outcomes and assignments)
- When an assignment is received, the tutor evaluates it with helpful comments and sends a response back to student (normally within three days).
- Tutor assesses student progress and determines when a successful level is achieved.
Tutor Interaction With Prisoners
There are no direct visits, phone calls, Internet or email with students – all interaction is through the U.S. Mail. To avoid potential problems, we incorporate prudent safety precautions in tutor-student interaction.
- All communication is related to the course.
- You will not use your own name.
- Your home address will not be used. Prisoner mail will be forwarded to you.
With every book PrisonEd sends into prison, a tutor is assigned. We need your expertise in facilitating the following courses:
A. INITIAL COURSES:
1. Great Mentors
2. Writing for success in college and business
3. Everyday Math
4. Beginning Algebra
5. Job Success: getting and keeping a job
B. NEW COURSES UNDER DEVELOPMENT:
4. Personal Finance
5. Write Your Own Story
6. If you have an area of expertise beneficial to prison inmates, let us know for consideration.
Note: while courses are non-credit, they are non-the-less designed to be of college-level rigor.
Prisoners: PrisonEd pays for books and curriculum materials.
Tutors: PrisonEd pays for materials and mailings.
Become a PrisonEd Tutor
We invite you to become involved by clicking CONTACT US and sending an email with the information requested on that page.